This blog highlights key worldwide technology predictions that will impact the CIO role and the enterprise in the next three to five years.
For CIOs and senior information and technology (IT) executives, the challenge is to think and operate like a digital-native enterprise in the face of the emergence of platforms, innovation accelerators, machine learning, augmented skills, micro-personalization, new partnerships, and new relationships. At the same time, change continues to move from linear to exponential and from evolving to episodic and unpredictable — requiring businesses to build digitally fueled adaptive processes, decision-making, and technology platforms to survive, let alone thrive.
Lines are being drawn in the sand, separating industry laggards from "digital-native enterprises" that can harness the power of technology to multiply innovation and accelerate their businesses' appetite for transformation. Enterprise technology environments must adapt at accelerated pace to the scale, scope, and speed of digital transformation.
These predictions lay out IDC’s vision for the 10 most important shifts that will happen in IT organizations over the next 36 months and will guide senior IT executives in the formation of their three-year strategic IT plan.
Top 10 Predictions from IDC FutureScape: Worldwide CIO Agenda 2018 Predictions
- Prediction 1: By 2018, 75% of CIOs Will Put Experiential Engagement, Data Monetization, or Digital Business at Scale at the Top of Their Agenda
- Prediction 2: Through 2019, Dragged Down by Conflicting Digital Transformation Imperatives, Ineffective Technology Innovation, Cloud Infrastructure Transition, and Underfunded End-of-Life Core Systems, 75% of CIOs and Their Enterprises Will Fail to Meet All of Their Digital Objectives
- Prediction 3: By 2020, 60% of the CIOs Who Have Crossed the Digital Divide Will Prevail in C-Suite Turmoil and Competition to Become Digital Business Leaders for Their Enterprises
- Prediction 4: By 2019, 60% of CIOs Will Complete Infrastructure and Application Replatforming Using Cloud, Mobile, and DevOps, Clearing the Deck for Accelerated Enterprise Digital Transformation
- Prediction 5: By 2019, 60% of IT Organizations Will Deploy DX Platforms Supporting New Customer- and Ecosystem-Facing Business Models
- Prediction 6: By 2019, 75% of CIOs Will Refocus Cybersecurity Around Authentication and Trust to Manage Business Risks, Initiating the Retirement of Systems That Cannot Ensure Data Protection
- Prediction 7: By 2020, 40% of CIOs Will Leverage Vision- and Mission-Driven Leadership to Inspire and Empower Their Organizations to Create Digital Transformation Capabilities
- Prediction 8: Recognizing the Failure of Existing IT Governance and the Need for a Shared Digital Transformation Vision, by 2020, 40% of CIOs Will Adopt New Digital Governance Models to Accelerate Innovation and Speed
- Prediction 9: By 2018, 70% of CIOs Will Take Agility to the Next Level, Gearing Up to a Product Model Using Design Thinking and DevOps
- Prediction 10: By 2020, 60% of CIOs Will Implement an IT Business Model and Culture That Shifts Focus from IT Projects to Digitally Oriented Products
To register for the on-demand web conference on these 10 predictions or to learn more about any of the IDC FutureScape Web Conferences, please visit: https://www.idc.com/events/futurescapes
You can find full context around these predictions in the newly published document, IDC FutureScape: Worldwide CIO Agenda Predictions (Document#US41789117) on idc.com.