In their IDC FutureScape, the IDC Worldwide Digital Transformation team discusses the key predictions that will impact CIOs and IT professionals in the worldwide digital transformation industry over the next one to three years.
This year's DX predictions represent the latest thinking on the key programs, technologies, and processes needed to achieve success in the digital economy as more companies are embracing and engaging their enterprise transformations. While we are seeing more companies becoming more digitally capable, there is a widening gap between leaders and laggards, with significant implications for those organizations that cannot make the transition to a digital-native organization.
IDC's formal digital transformation research is entering its third year. A significant portion of our effort has centered on understanding the relative maturity of companies undertaking a digital business strategy. In 2017, we refreshed our original research and found that, although progress had been made since the original work in late 2015, 59% of companies remained at either stage two or three of maturity, which we have labeled the "digital impasse."
The predictions from the IDC FutureScape for Digital Transformation are:
- Prediction 1: By the End of 2019, DX Spending Will Reach $1.7 Trillion Worldwide, a 42% Increase from 2017
- Prediction 2: By 2019, All Digitally Transformed Organizations Will Generate at Least 45% of Their Revenue from "Future of Commerce" Business Models
- Prediction 3: By 2020, Investors Will View Digital Businesses Differently, with Specific Measures Based on Platform Participation, Data Value, and Customer Engagement Accounting for over 75% of Enterprise Valuations
- Prediction 4: By the End of 2018, at Least 40% of Organizations Will Have a Fully Staffed Digital Leadership Team Versus a Single DX Executive Lead to Accelerate Enterprisewide DX Initiatives
- Prediction 5: By 2019, Personal Digital Assistants and Bots Will Execute Only 1% of Transactions, But They Will Influence 10% of Sales, Driving Growth Among the Organizations That Have Mastered Utilizing Them
- Prediction 6: By 2020, in over Half of G2000 Firms, Revenue Growth from Information-Based Products and Services Will Be Twice the Growth Rate of the Balance of the Product/Service Portfolio
- Prediction 7: By 2020, 85% of New Operation-Based Technical Position Hires Will Be Screened for Analytical and AI Skills, Enabling the Development of Data-Centric DX Projects Without Hiring New Data-Centric Talent
- Prediction 8: By 2020, 25% of G2000 Companies Will Have Developed Digital Training Programs and Digital Cooperatives to Compete More Effectively in Talent Wars
- Prediction 9: By 2019, 40% of Digital Transformation Initiatives Will Be Supported by Cognitive/AI Capabilities, Providing Timely Critical Insights for New Operating and Monetization Models
- Prediction 10: By 2020, 60% of All Enterprises Will Have Fully Articulated an Organizationwide Digital Platform Strategy and Will Be in the Process of Implementing That Strategy
To register for the on-demand web conference on these 10 predictions or to learn more about any of the IDC FutureScape Web Conferences, please visit: https://www.idc.com/events/futurescapes
You can find full context around these predictions in the newly published document, IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Digital Transformation 2018 Predictions (Document idc.com.) on