At IDC, we understand that privacy is important, and we've created this policy to give you information about how we collect and use personal information. Our policy describes how we collect and use data from users of the Insights Community website.
Insights Community Customer Service
5 Speen Street
Framingham, MA 01701
- Log data. Our servers automatically record certain information sent by your browser, such as your Web request, your Internet Protocol address, your referring URL, your browser type and language, and the date and time of your request.
- Cookie data. IDC.com places 3 "cookies" on your machine; one that stores your login information for up to 1 year, and 2 cookies that maintain your presence when you log into the site. The cookies tell IDC.com only who you are, and that you have logged in to the site successfully. The identity cookie resides only on the computer that you used to login to IDC.com and the 2 session cookies expire within 8 hours or 1 year of your session, depending on whether you opt to have the site "Remember" you upon login. No one external to IDC has access to user information for individual accounts (individuals who are not part of a corporate account).
The aggregated information we collect is used for a number of purposes including the following:
- To improve the content and design of the IDC Web site.
- To enable our audit bureau to verify our claims of traffic to the site.
- To help us understand more about the interests of our users, so that we can offer goods and services we believe may be of interest.
IDC employs SSL encryption on all credit card transactions. The secure server software (SSL) encrypts all information you input before you send it to us.
Corporate Administrators at our client organizations have access to usage statistics for their account base. If your user account is part of a corporate account, then a Corporate Administrator at your company may access your user and usage information. Corporate Administrators can access user information only for individuals within their corporate profile.
Many portions of the IDC site can be used without registering or giving us any personal information such as (but not limited to) your name and e-mail address. However, IDC does collect personally identifying information regarding our online users, including in the following ways:
- When you provide it to us, such as (but not limited to) by entering a contest, becoming a registered member, buying a product, signing up for a newsletter, tutorial, or email or mobile alerts, or otherwise contacting us.
- When you provide it to a company that powers a portion of our site or provides a special feature, such as a contest registration or a content library, that appears on our site.
- When you provide information about yourself or your company to IDC in connection with a subscription order that information may be included in your IDC user record, if one exists.
- If you have provided information to IDC, from time to time we may enhance that information with other information that we collect from third-party sources.
The personal information we collect may be linked to information regarding your use of the IDC Sites, such as which newsletters or alerts you subscribe to or which categories of content you have downloaded. This combined data helps us recommend content to you and target our communications to topics that interest you. The personal information and related data may be used in a number of ways, including the following:
- To improve the content of the IDC Sites, including by allowing IDC's analysts to consult with users.
- To communicate with users about registration and other customer service issues.
- To promote products and services of IDC, our parent company IDG, and our sibling IDG companies.
- To conduct research surveys on behalf of IDC, IDG, and its subsidiaries and affiliates.
IDC may share aggregated, non-personal information, such as Web site traffic figures, with third parties. This aggregated information does not identify you individually. We may share personal information with your consent or in order to provide products or services you have requested. In addition, by using the site you agree that we may also share personal information in any of the following circumstances:
- We may use or disclose personal information if we have a good-faith belief that the disclosure is reasonably necessary (a) to satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request, (b) to enforce agreements we have with you, (c) to address fraud or security issues, or (d) to protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of IDC or our employees or customers.
- We may share personal information with trusted affiliates or third parties, such as credit card processors or fulfillment providers, who process information or perform services on our behalf.
- We may share information with third parties for promotional purposes, as described below.
In addition, you should be aware that when you disclose personal information such as your name or e-mail address in a forum, blog comment, or other area that is publicly accessible by others, that information can be collected and used by others. IDC and its parent and affiliate companies are not responsible for any information that you provide in the above areas.
Use of data for promotions, and choices for personal information
When you provide your e-mail address to us, you agree to receive e-mail from IDC and its affiliate IDG companies; however, you can unsubscribe from these e-mails at any time simply by following the instructions at the bottom of the e-mail. We allow you to opt out of receiving e-mail regarding third-party offers, both when e-mail information is collected and with each use of your address. If you do not opt out at the time your e-mail address is collected, or do not respond to the questions concerning how we may use your e-mail address, your address may be used for third-party offers. Offers for which the e-mail address is rented and/or licensed for use are screened and the users are required to target their offers carefully.
You may have the opportunity to provide us with your mobile phone number, whether by responding to a form that asks for a mobile number or by using your phone to send us certain kinds of communications, such as a shortcode, SMS or other mobile message. We use your mobile phone number to provide the products and services you've specifically requested, such as content delivery to your phone, and for customer service regarding those products and services. We may use your mobile phone number to promote other products and services of IDC and its affiliate IDG companies if you have expressly consented to receive our promotions via your phone. Similarly, we may use your mobile phone number to promote products and services of carefully chosen third parties if you have expressly consented to receive third party promotions via your phone. Your preferences for receiving promotions via your mobile phone are separate from your preferences for receiving promotions via other means, and you can update your mobile phone preferences at any time simply by following the instructions included in the messages we send to your mobile phone. Please note that the privacy practices described in this paragraph apply only to mobile phone numbers provided to us in the ways described above. If you provide your mobile phone number in other contexts, such as by entering a mobile phone number in a form that asks for your home or business number, we will not be able to identify the number as a mobile number, and the practices described in this paragraph will not apply. Also, please be aware that many mobile phone companies recycle phone numbers, so if you have a new phone number it is possible that you might receive messages that the previous holder of the number had signed up for or consented to receive.
Postal addresses and telephone numbers (other than mobile phone numbers described above) will be used to promote IDC and IDG companies products and services, and may be rented and/or licensed to selected outside firms for promotional purposes. Offers for which the postal addresses and telephone numbers are rented and/or licensed for use are screened and the users are required to target their offers carefully. Fax numbers may be used for surveys for IDC and third parties, but are not rented and/or licensed to outside firms except as expressly set forth in this policy.
In addition to the methods outlined above, you may change your preferences regarding use of personal data by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
If IDC or any of its products is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of some or all of its assets, all personally identifying information and other data will be transferred to the new owner.
> Last updated: February 3, 2009